1. Weather Observations
Labs: METAR exercises. Introduction to online data and analysis resources.
2. Hypsometric Equation ApplicationsLectures: Brief hypsometric equation. Vertical integration. Altimeter setting and sea level pressure.
3. Introduction to Synoptic Analysis
Lectures: Scalar analysis. Upper atmospheric
analysis. Rapid review of geostrophic, gradient and
ageostrophic wind relationships and their application in synoptic
Labs: 500 mb and 850 mb analyses. Instruction on online analysis tools (garp). Meted: Thermal Wind
4. Atmospheric Structure
Lectures: Thickness, thermal wind, and jet
streams. Frontogenesis. Upper level fronts.
Vorticity and potential vorticity.
Labs: 300 and 200 mb analyses. Thermal wind lab. Meted: Jet Streams
5. Basic Conceptual Models of Cyclones and Fronts
Lectures: Norwegian conceptual model. Isobaric and
frontal analysis. Cyclone structure, including clouds.
Labs: Surface analysis. Cross sectional analyses.
6. Weather Forecasting Boot Camp
7. Introduction to Weather Satellites and their Imagery
Lectures: Hardware description. Basic
concepts. Interpretation of visible, infrared, microwave,
and moisture imagery.
Labs: Analysis of satellite imagery.
8. Modern Ideas on Synoptic Structure and Development.
Lecture: Shapiro and Keyser model, conveyor belt
conceptual models. Split fronts and cold fronts aloft.
Three dimensional airflow in cyclones. Numerical simulations
of cyclone/frontal evolution.
Labs: GARP analysis of three-dimensional structures, trajectory analyses using model data.
9. Tropical Meteorology.
Lectures: Basic characteristics and comparison to
midlatitudes. Easterly waves and tropical storms.
Labs: Streamline and isotach analysis.