- October 2, 2015: Professor Cliff Mass is in the news—"Hurricane Joaquin Forecast: Why U.S. Weather Model Has Fallen Behind." (New York Times)
- August 13, 2015: Professor Cliff Mass is in the news again—"El Niño Could Rank Among Strongest on Record." (MNS News)
- August 4, 2015: Professor Cliff Mass is in the news—"Powerful El Niño could mean fewer Atlantic hurricanes, experts say." (By James Rogers, Fox News)
- July 28, 2015: Congratulations to Prof. Christopher Bretherton! He's been elected as an American Geophysical Union Fellow. Also see July 29 article "Two UW researchers elected AGU Fellows."
(By Hannah Hickey, UW Today)
- July 28, 2015: Congratulations to Prof. Christopher Bretherton! He's been elected as an American Geophysical Union Fellow.
- July 23, 2015: Professor Joel Thornton is in the news—"Workshop Shows the Sky's the Limit on Atmospheric Particle Research." (PNNL Highlights)
- July 22, 2015: Congratulations to Prof. Cecilia Bitz! Distinguished faculty to be inducted into Washington State Academy of Sciences.
(By Robin Brooks, UW Today).
- July 17, 2015: Graduate student Daniel McCoy (co-lead author), Profs. Dennis Hartmann and Robert Wood, Dr. Daniel Grosvenor, and Affiliate Prof. Phil Rasch are in the news—"Marine plankton brighten clouds over Southern Ocean." (By Hannah Hickey, UW Today) (Also see PNNL press release.)
- June 30, 2015: Professors Thomas Ackerman and Lauren Hartzell Nichols to speak at The Royla Room (5000 Rainier Ave. S., Seattle), 6 p.m., Tuesday, June 30. The topic is "Earth, Interrupted: Climate Change and Geo-engineering," a moderated discussion hosted by Humanities Washington. Moderated by Zaki Hamid.
- June 26, 2015: Professor Dale Durran took first prize in sculpture at the Kenmore Art Show.
- June 22, 2015: In recognition of his entrepreneurial thinking and significant contribution to the translational culture at UW, Professor Cliff Mass has been invited to become a CoMotion Presidential Innovation Fellow.
- June 16, 2015: Professor Nick Bond is in the news—"Toxic algae bloom might be largest ever." (By Sandi Doughton, The Seattle Times)
- May 29, 2015: Congratulations to Weiming Ma, undergraduate student in Atmospheric Sciences, who was awarded a scholarship for the 2015-2016 academic year from the College of the Environment.
- May 11, 2015: Undergraduate Research Symposium, May 15, 2015, 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM, Mary Gates Hall. Atmospheric Sciences has mentored three presenters: Lauren Easley, Senior, Chemistry (Becky Alexander and Maria Zatko); Lauren Whybrew, Senior, Atmospheric Sciences (Joel Thornton and Cassandra Gaston); and Martin Griesse-Nascimento, Senior, Atmospheric Sciences (Joel Thornton and Cassandra Gaston). Samantha Hing, Senior, Chemistry and Atmospheric Sciences was mentored by Oceanography (Ashley Maloney and Julian Sachs).
- May 11, 2015: Congratulations to Prof. Robert Houze! Atmospheric scientist Bob Houze awarded Symons Gold Medal
(By Hannah Hickey, UW Today).
- May 8, 2015: Congratulations to graduate student Ángel Adames, who was awarded a prestigious UW Stroum Fellowship for the 2015-16 academic year.
- May 5, 2015: A belated congratulations to one of our undergraduate majors, Lauren Whybrew!—She was a Student Poster Competition winner at the annual conference of the American Association for Aerosol Research (AAAR), a major venue in the field of atmospheric aerosol research. She competed against many graduate students also presenting at the international conference.
- April 22, 2015: Professors Lyatt Jaeglé, LuAnne Thompson, and Dr. Yanxu Zhang are highlighted in the Eos Buzz for their published article in Global Biogeochemical Cycles—"Humans Greatly Increase Mercury Levels in the Ocean." (By Shannon Palus, Eos)
- April 15, 2015: Professor David Battisti is in the spotlight—"Meet David Battisti, professor of atmospheric sciences." (By Kelly Knickerbocker, College of the Environment, The Insider)
- April 14, 2015: Professor Dennis Hartmann is in the news—"Warming Pacific Makes for Increasingly Weird Ocean Life." (By Craig Welch, National Geographic)
- April 13, 2015: Congratulations to sophomore Eliza Dawson! She received an Ernest F. Hollings scholarship from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- April 9, 2015: Professor Dennis Hartmann and Affiliate Associate Professor Nick Bond are in the news—"'Warm blob' in Pacific Ocean linked to weird weather across the U.S." (By Hannah Hickey, UW Today)
- April 8, 2015: Join Steve Pool (and UW Atmospheric Sciences intern Alex Kubiniec) behind the Scenes of the KOMO 4 Weather Center!
- April 3, 2015: Professor Robert Houze and his group have had three Eos spotlights in the last year. The most recent paper is with graduate student Hannah Barnes entitled "Radar Shows Where Water and Ice Occur in Large Storms." (By Shannon Palus, Eos)
- April 2, 2015: Dr. Lynn McMurdie, Professors Robert Houze and Cliff Mass are in the news—"UW, NASA prepare for effort to measure rain, snow on Olympic Peninsula." (By Hannah Hickey, UW Today)
- March 25, 2015: Graduate student Stephen Po-Chedley is in the news for his publication in J. Climate coauthored with Prof. Qiang Fu and Dr. Tyler Thorsen—"One satellite data set is underestimating global warming." (By John Abraham, The Guardian)
- March 5, 2015: Professor Cecilia Bitz is in the news—"On snowy D.C. day, Senate hearing on the Arctic turns to climate change." (By Mike DeBonis, Washington Post)